1. Stephens, M, et al. (2013) Geographic Disparities in Patient Travel for Dialysis in the United States. The Journal of Rural Health, 29(4), 339–348.
2. Stephens, J. M., Brotherton, S., Dunning, S. C., Emerson, L. C., Gilbertson, D. T., Gitlin, M., … Shreay, S. (2013). High Cost of Dialysis Transportation in the United States: Exploring Approaches to a More Cost-Effective Delivery System. Journal of Health Economics and Outcomes Research, 1(2), 134–50.
3. Sanatan Shreay, Martin Ma, Jill McCluskey, Ron Mittelhammer, Matthew Gitlin, J. Mark Stephens. (2014) Efficiency of U.S. Dialysis Centers: An Updated Examination of Facility Characteristics That Influence Production of Dialysis Treatments. Health Services Research, 49(3), 838-857.
4. Coritsidis, G.N., Maglinte, G.A., Acharya, A., Saxena, A., et al (2014). Anemia Management Trends in Hospital-Based Dialysis Centers (HBDCs), 2010-2013. Clinical Therapeutics. Volume 36, Number 3 pp. 408-418. [M. Stephens provided data analysis, graphics support and wrote first draft of the manuscript]
5. Stephens, J. Mark. (2015) Finding consistency in Medicare’s quality ratings for dialysis providers. Nephrology News & Issues. May 2015 pp. 16-22.
6. Hollenbeak, Christopher S; Rubin, Robert J; Tzivelekis, Spiros; Stephens, J. Mark. (2015) Trends in prevalence of patient case-mix adjusters used in the Medicare dialysis payment system. Nephrology News & Issues. June 2015 pp. 25-34.
7. Stephens JM, Emerson LC, Spry LA, Caloyeras JP, Anderson ER, Reitan JF, Ashfaq A. (2016) Time Savings of Weekly versus Three-Times-per-Week Administration of Erythropoiesis Stimulating Agents in United States Dialysis Patients. Current Medical Research & Opinion. Volume 32, Number 2 pp. 313-320.
8. Stephens JM, Li X, Reiner M, Tzivelekis S. (2016) Annual patient and caregiver burden of oncology clinic visits for granulocyte-colony stimulating factor therapy in the United States. Journal of Medical Economics. Volume 19, Number 5 pp. 537-547.
9. Stephens, J. Mark. (2016) Fix five star so it measures true quality of care. Nephrology News & Issues. July 2016 p. 39.
10. Stephens JM, Caloyeras JP, Holmen J, Kumar V, Tzivelekis S, Pollock A. (2017) Clinical factors influencing the decision to order red blood cell transfusions for a sample of US dialysis patients. Clinical Nephrology. Volume 87, Number 4 pp. 180-187.
11. Stephens JM, Bensink M, Bowers C, Hollenbeak C. (2017) Travel burden associated with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor administration in a Medicare aged population: a geospatial analysis. Current Medical Research & Opinion. Volume 34, 2018, Issue 8 pp. 1351-1360.
12. Cotter D, Barrus D, Ma M, Wish J, Thamer M, Stephens M. (2017) Effects of ESRD bundling on efficiency of U.S. Dialysis Centers. Nephrology News & Issues. October 2017 pp. 8-11.
13. Stephens JM, Bensink M, Bowers C, Hollenbeak C. (2019) Risks and consequences of travel burden on prophylactic granulocyte colony-stimulating factor administration and incidence of febrile neutropenia in an aged Medicare population. Current Medical Research & Opinion. Volume 35, 2019, Issue 2 pp. 229-240.
14. Stephens M. (2018) Counting the stars: Who is the best among dialysis providers? Nephrology News & Issues. September 2018 pp. 32-33.
15. Chen C, Wu N, Watson C. (2018) Multiple sclerosis patients who are stable on interferon therapy show better outcomes when staying on same therapy than patients who switch to another interferon. ClinicoEconomics and Outcomes Research. Volume 2018:10 pp. 723-730. [M. Stephens provided data analysis, graphics development, drafting and writing of the manuscript, and publication process management for this article.]
16. Stephens M. (2020) Dialysis Patient Experience, Clinical Star Ratings Diverge in Practice. Nephrology News & Issues. May 2020 pp. 27-30.
17. Stephens M, Barrus D, Cotter D, Ma M, Thamer M, Wish J. (2021) Dialysis Center Productivity Acelerated after 2011 Payment Reform without Compromising Quality of Care. Journal of Clinical Nephrology and Renal Care. Volume 7 Issue 1, 2021.
18. Stephens M. (2021) Providers may face challenges in reaching ESRD Treatment Choices goals. Nephrology News & Issues. March 2021 p. 18.
Conference Abstracts, Posters and Podium Presentations
1. Stephens M, Brotherton S, Gitlin M, Steinle T, Leidl R, Kochevar J. The Impact of Medication Adherence on the Cost of Osteoporosis Fractures in Germany: A Modelling Approach. Prague: ISPOR 13th Annual European Congress, November 6-9, 2010.
2. Finkelstein FO, Kochevar JJ, Stephens JM, Kliger AS. Who loses Income under the ESRD Prospective Payment System? Denver, CO: American Society of Nephrology (ASN) Renal Week; November 16-21, 2010.
3. Finkelstein FO, Kliger AS, Juergensen P, Kochevar JJ, Stephens M. Implications of the Medicare Prospective Payment System (PPS) for Small Dialysis Organizations. [Podium Presentation]. Philadelphia, PA : American Society of Nephrology (ASN) Kidney Week, November 11, 2011. Abstract FR-OR279.
4. Stephens, M, et al. The End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Prospective Payment System (PPS) and Access to Care: Incremental Distance Traveled by Displaced Patients. Philadelphia, PA : American Society of Nephrology (ASN) Kidney Week, November 12, 2011.
6. Sanatan Shreay, Mark Stephens, Martin Ma, Jill McCluskey, Ron Mittelhammer, Matthew Gitlin. (2013) Efficiency of U.S. Dialysis Centers: An Updated Examination of Facility Characteristics That Influence Production of Dialysis Treatments. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research, New Orleans, LA; May 18-22
7. G Coritsidis, A Acharya, C Chang, J Hill, G Maglinte, A Saxena, M Stephens, R Lafayette. (2013) Anemia Management Trends in Hospital-Based Dialysis Centers: 2010-2013. American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week, Nov 5-10 2013 Atlanta, GA
8. Hollenbeak C, Stephens M, Rubin RJ, Tzivelekis S. Trends in ESRD Prospective Payment System (PPS) Case-Mix Prevalence in the Medicare Fee-for-Service (FFS) Population 2000–2008. NKF Spring Clinical Meetings, April 22-26, 2014 Las Vegas, NV.
9. Stephens M, Ma M, McCluskey J, Mittelhammer RC, Gitlin M. Characteristics of Efficient Free-Standing Dialysis Centers in the U.S. Prior to the Prospective Payment System (PPS). NKF Spring Clinical Meetings, April 22-26, 2014 Las Vegas, NV.
10. Stephens M, Maione-Downing B, Neumann PJ, Rubin RJ, Tzivelekis S. The Relative Importance of Patient Case-Mix to Payments Under the ESRD Prospective Payment System (PPS). NKF Spring Clinical Meetings, April 22-26, 2014 Las Vegas, NV.
11. Stephens M, Maione-Downing B, Brotherton S, Gitlin M. Development of a Spatially-Enabled Public-Use Database for End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Policy Studies. ISPOR 19th Annual International Meeting, May 31-June 4, 2014 Montreal QC Canada.
12. Stephens JM, Caloyeras J, Park G, Tzivelekis S. Dose Cycling Patterns In Epoetin Alfa Use In United States Hemodialysis Patients. NKF Spring Clinical Meetings, March 25-28, 2015 Dallas, TX.
13. Stephens M, Emerson, LC, Spry, LA, Caloyeras JP, Anserson, ER, et al. A Time and Motion Study of Erythropoiesis Stimulating Agent Administration in United States Dialysis Centers. American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week San Diego, CA; Nov. 3-8, 2015 (Publication Only).
14. Stephens JM, Li X, Reiner M, Sheldon W, Tzivelekis S. Patient and Caregiver Burden of Oncology Clinic Visits for Granulocyte-Colony Stimulating Factor Therapy in the United States. ASH 57th Annual Meeting, December 4-7, 2015 Orlando, FL.
15. Stephens JM. How to Become a Five-Star Dialysis Facility (Without Really Trying). NKF Spring Clinical Meetings, April 28-30, 2016 Boston, MA.
16. Stephens JM. Dialysis Industry Data: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. 2016 NRAA Fall Conference, October 27-28, 2016 San Diego, CA.
17. Williams J, Stephens M, Oppenlander D. Financial, Operations and Benchmarking of an Independent Dialysis Unit. Medicare Cost Reports: Problems and Solutions. 2016 NRAA/RPA Dialysis, Nephrologist and Facility Leader Symposium, October 28-29, 2016 San Diego, CA.
18. Stephens JM, . (2016) Geographic Access to Oncology Services in the United States (US): Travel Disparities May Affect Granulocyte-Colony Stimulating Factor (G-CSF) Administration. Blood. Volume 128, Number 22 p. 5905.
19. Chen C, Wu N, Watson C. Stable Multiple Sclerosis Patients on an Interferon Therapy Have Better Outcomes When Staying on Therapy Than Patients Who Switch to Another Interferon. American Academy of Neurology (AAN) 69th Annual Meeting, April 22-28, 2017 Boston, MA. [M. Stephens provided data analysis, graphics and writing support for this poster]
20. Stephens JM, Barrus, D, Cotter D, Ma M, Thamer M, Wish J. Changes in Efficiency of U.S. Dialysis Centers Amid Regulatory and Payment Reform. International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 22nd Annual International Meeting, May 23, 2017 Boston, MA.
21. Stephens JM, Barrus, D, Cotter D, Ma M, Thamer M, Wish J. Productivity in the Delivery of US Dialysis Treatments Accelerated After 2010 without Compromising Quality of Care. NKF Spring Clinical Meetings, May 8-12, 2019 Boston, MA.
22. Stephens JM, Fox KM, Desai P, Cheng S, Goodman W, Kendrick J. Calcimimetic Use in United States (US) Hemodialysis Facilities in First Two Years after Launch of Etelcalcetide. Virtual ISPOR 2021, May 17, 2021 , Lawrenceville NJ.